- Chief Constable
nounthe head of the police force in a county (or similar area)• Regions: ↑United Kingdom, ↑UK, ↑U.K., ↑Britain, ↑United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, ↑Great Britain
* * *Brit.chief of police.
* * *Chief Constable noun(in UK) an officer commanding the police force in an administrative area• • •Main Entry: ↑chief
* * *a senior officer who is in charge of the police in a particular district of the UKThesaurus: police officershyponym
* * *chief constable,a police chief of a county or an equivalent district, in Great Britain.
* * *noun, pl ⋯ -stables [count]Brit : a police officer who is in charge of a police force
* * *ˌchief ˈconstable [chief constable] noun(in Britain) a senior police officer who is in charge of the police force in a particular area
Chief Constable Brian Turner
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chief constable — is the rank used by the chief police officer of every territorial police force in the United Kingdom except for the City of London Police and the Metropolitan Police, as well as the chief officers of the three special national police forces, the… … Wikipedia
Chief Constable — is the title given to the chief police officer of every territorial police force in the United Kingdom except the two responsible for Greater London, as well as the chief officers of the British Transport Police, Ministry of Defence Police, Civil … Wikipedia
Chief Constable — Chief Constables N COUNT; N TITLE A Chief Constable is the officer who is in charge of the police force in a particular county or area in Britain. ...the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester … English dictionary
chief constable — n a police officer in charge of the police in a large area of Britain … Dictionary of contemporary English
chief constable — ► NOUN Brit. ▪ the head of the police force of a county or other region … English terms dictionary
chief constable — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms chief constable : singular chief constable plural chief constables a senior officer who is in charge of the police in a particular district of the UK … English dictionary
chief constable — chief of police (Britain) … English contemporary dictionary
chief constable — Brit. chief of police. * * * … Universalium
chief constable — noun The chief of police of most territorial UK police forces, except the Metropolitan Police and City of London Police … Wiktionary
chief constable — noun Brit. the head of the police force of a county or other region … English new terms dictionary